Teenagers and Injury
Interestingly, most injury outcomes in teenagers are based on the decisions and behaviours that most frequently cause these unintentional injuries. The environment where these injuries occur are also key factors in the following injuries.
- Young people have the highest rate of traffic death and injury among all age groups
- Youth represent the largest number of drivers who test positive for drugs or alcohol after a fatal crash.
- Speeding kills. Follow the speed limit, and adjust speed to match the conditions of the road.
- A five per cent reduction in average speed can reduce fatalities by 30 per cent. Slow down to keep yourself and others alive.
- The number of Canadian drivers killed in car crashes who test positive for drugs now exceeds the number who test positive for alcohol.