The Falls Prevention Action Group’s focus is to reduce the prevalence of falls in Wellington County in adults over the age of 65. Research shows that participating in exercise is proven to reduce the likelihood of falls; we work to raise awareness about the many opportunities older adults have to increase or maintain fitness level in their communities. In addition we have been sharing resources such as our booklet “Exercise at the Kitchen Sink” to frail seniors during appointments with their primary care provider.
The Falls Action Group also attends community events to share resources such as home safety checklists, exercise booklets and SMART exercise locations. We are currently working on our 50 hours of standing exercise reduces 1 fall initiative with over 250 older adults completing more than 50 exercise classes this year.
In November, which is Falls Prevention Month, members of our Falls Prevention Action Group are out in the community speaking to seniors groups about Falls and strategies on how to prevent them. We also are working on a media blitz in the area during the month of November.
In 2021 we are focussing on the importance of exercise in preventing falls, as well as making sure the older members of our families are safe in their homes and in their community. We continue to work with the Victoria Order of Nurses, promoting their SMART Program and we are creating new and interesting ways on educating older adults about preventing falls.
- Helen Edwards, Seniors Health Services Coordinator Seniors Centre for Excellence
- Kelly Gee, Smart Exercise Coordinator VON
- Olivia Fischer, Occupational Therapist. Mount Forest Family Health Team
- Sandy Turner, Health Promoter, Minto-Mapleton Family Health Team
- Janis Moriarity, Geriatric Nurse Specialist, Upper Grand Family Health Team
- Nick Pellizzari, Health Promoter, Upper Grand Family Health Team
- Susan McAuslen, Physiotherapist, Arthritis Society
Exercise improves balance & strength, and increases your bone density. All of these benefits will help to reduce the impact that a fall has on your life.
Call us to find an exercise program in your community 519-638-1000 or 1-866-446-4546
If you share an interest in preventing falls, please email [email protected] for more information.